This is the village of Los Cobanos, El Salvador. Its one hundred residents live with the sea at their doorstep. With a country in turmoil at their backs, fishing defines and sustains life.

Tuesday, February 5, 2008

Friends,

I write today to ask for your help in bringing aid to my friends in an impoverished fishing village in El Salvador called Los Cobanos. Time is of the essence as I will be traveling back there on February 14th. My goal is to raise funds for the following:

(1) Support for the family of my friend Neto, who was just murdered in drug and gang violence. Neto was a fantastic and intelligent person with deep interpersonal skills. I often wonder what Neto could have made out of his life if he had been born under different circumstances. Instead, he is dead at the age of 32, leaving behind a pregnant wife and three small children who were already struggling to make ends meet. Neto earned a little less than $200/month doing a variety of jobs. I’d like to provide a few of months of his earnings to support his family and his wife's arts and crafts business. She makes jewelry and trinkets for sale in nearby markets. Note: I can’t offer tax deductions at this time. Sorry about that. I’ll accept cash or checks for Neto’s family (made out to me with notation “Neto” on check) and send to address below.

In addition, the local leaders have also requested in-kind donations of the following:

(2) any new or used kids soccer equipment (cleats, shin guards, socks, etc) for a new local soccer program for kids ages 8-12 (20 kids); and

(3) any summer clothing for men, women and children.

This year, I’ll also be helping village leaders install a drinking water filtration system. The 100 villagers have no reliable access to clean water and suffer from a variety of waterborne illnesses. My friend Jose Suarez, an architect in San Salvador, is designing a basic sand and gravel filtration system to provide clean water for 30 families. Once we can assemble the proper 501c3 non-profit channels, I’ll be pursuing donations from foundations and companies.

There are many worthy causes in the world today so I am reluctant to ask so much of you. But I can guarantee that even the smallest donations will make measurable difference in the lives of these very special people. The villagers live at the very brink of humanity, lacking reliable shelter, sanitation, and sustenance. The ocean defines their lives: they fish from it every day and live in huts at the surf. At their backs is a country in turmoil, reeling from a wave of gang violence and the tortuous legacy of a 12-year civil war.

Thanks for your consideration.

No comments: